Skip to main content

10 Simple Ways to be More Eco-Friendly

Over the last few years I have been trying to be more eco-friendly in the hope to reduce my impact on our planet. I am not alone in this, as show by the increase in veganism and the availability of eco-friendly products.

I'm not saying I'm perfect but I believe if we all make small changes we can make an impact. Most of these changes also save money so even if you aren't that fussed about the environment we all like to save money!


1. Shop Second Hand 

In the UK we throw away 350,000 tonnes of clothing every year*. Not only that but the fashion industry makes up 10% of humanities carbon omissions **. The easiest way to reduce our environmentally impact is to buy what is already there rather than being new.

This is now easier than ever thanks to the internet. You can by second hand clothes online through Re-fashion which is easy to search through if you are looking for a specific item. The money goes to charity and the items that either aren't high enough quality or don't sell go to local charity shops. All that and they even do free returns. 

You can also shop at more well known places such as Facebook Marketplace, Depop and Ebay. Also charity shopping instore, you can also feel a bit smug knowing your money is going to support a charity rather than a big corporation!

Another item to shop second hand which is often overlooked is books! Books sadly often end up in landfill so to reduce waste we should buy what's there.  I feel incredibly lucky to live less than an hour away from Barter Books (One of Europe's largest second hand book store). You can even get store credit (as I have done) by taking in good quality books that you no longer want. Last time I went I got 4 books for free using store credit! It's also a wonderful place to browse. 

If I want a specific book I go to WOB (used to be known as World of Books). They have millions of great quality books. Before I buy a book on Amazon I always check if they have it here. Most of the time they do for a fraction of the price. I have ordered from them several times and have always been amazed by the quality of the books and how quick the delivery is.

If you want to reduce clutter and save your cash you can also borrow books from you local library.

2. Think before you buy (even when second hand)

Whether you are shopping brand new or second hand take time to think about whether you actually need and/or love that item. If you aren't sure then you don't buy it! Not only will you save money you will also reduce your waste.  

This is especially important when buying new. I avoid buying new as much as I can but sometimes I have no choice. For example, I needed some new gym legging and struggled to find some in my size second hand with pocket. Pockets are essential for me as I bring my phone running. So I brought them brand new. I know they worn a lot. I basically live in them even when I'm not at exercising! 

3. Ditch plastic (if not go for refills). 

The easiest (and cost saving way) to be more eco-friendly is switch to bars. I've switched my shampoo, conditioner and shower gel to bars. The soap bar I am using instead of shower gel is Pumpkin Spice from Lush. I started using it in November last year and its not even half gone. Not bad for £5!

If I can't ditch the plastic I try to go sustainable alternatives. For example, for my eczema I now use Dream Cream from Lush. Not only does it work a dream (hence the name!) if you bring five empty tubs back to Lush you can get a free fresh face mask. Alternatively you can get 50p off an item if you bring a container back***.

Another way to reduce plastic is going to a refill shop. I have a refill shop near me called Something Good. From there I refill containers for dish washing liquid, hand soap and hand sanitiser. I actually use an old Soap and Glory moisturiser bottle for my washing up liquid. 

4. Reduce waste by collecting or giving away items for free

I love Olio! Olio is an app where you can give away food and other items. Not only is this a great way to reduce for food waste, it is also a great way to declutter your home and know your items are going to someone who needs them and not in a landfill.  

They also have Food Hero's who collect food supermarkets can no longer can sell (because they are past their Best Before date but still perfectly fine to eat) and give them away for free. I have made lots of banana bread using free over ripe bananas that supermarkets will no longer sell. 

I recently collected a box of house plants from someone on Olio. Not only have I stopped them being thrown away. I've saved money on buying house plants. They have really helped to brighten up our flat. 

You can also give away and collect items for free on local Facebook groups.

5. Fix before you throw

One of the best thing's I ever spent £20 was on this sewing kit from Argos. It comes with pretty much every colour thread you could possibly need. I'm far from perfect at sewing but I do some basic stitching to fix some clothing. For example, a hole in my coat pocket, after having a panic thinking I'd lost my house keys before finding them in my coat lining!

If an item can be repaired rather than throwing it away that's better for the environment as your reducing the risk of it ending up in landfill and again saving your cash!

6. Walk or take public transport where you can.

So often said it almost boring! When you can walk or take public transport rather than your own car. Not only is walking a simple way to get in your daily exercise you aren't releasing any carbon emissions and even if you take the bus you will still collectively with those on the bus use less carbon emissions that you would if you all had a car and in turn reduce your carbon footprint. 

7. Use what you have!

Before you get rid of something think about whether it can have an alternative use. I have already mentioned reusing a Soap and Glory pump bottle for washing up liquid. Another example I have is I now use a make up brush holder as cutlery holder to take the cutlery I need to work for lunch. 

8. Find reusable period products.

We all know that sanitary products are far from ideal for the environment as they are single use and normally made from plastic so don't decompose. Though sometimes we have no choice but to use them when we are caught short! Research and trail alternatives to see what works for you. For example a menstrual cup, period underwear or reusable pads.

I can personally recommend period underwear. They are so comfy and as the pad is fixed in there is no risks of any leaks due to the pad slipping. But you find what works best for you. 

9. Wrap up before you switch the heating on

Before you turn on the heating put on more layers! You probably would have heard this a thousand times growing up from your parents. Though with the rising heat prices in the UK (that's a whole other issue!) most of us including myself have started to do this again naturally anyway. 

Again it is an easy way to reduce your carbon emissions. 

10. Finally, just try your best! 

Trying to be more eco-friendly can be overwhelming but the best thing to do is try to make chose the eco-friendly option where you can. 

I hope you find my list of 10 Simple Ways to be more Eco-Friendly helpful. Have I missed anything you do to be more eco-friendly? 

E x

Links are not affiliated just simply sharing as I love them.

References

Comments

  1. Totally agree with these points, especially with wrapping up before you turn on the heating. That way, you save money and energy!
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is a simple but overlooked tips. We all want to save money.

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post! I really enjoyed reading these simple steps towards living a more eco-friendly lifestyle. Shopping second hand, fixing instead of tossing, and using what we have are all great tips! We can make a difference by making small changes and trying our best. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Exactly it is about making small changes that can have a big impact.

      Delete
  3. Thank you! Hopefully they are all simple steps we can integrate into our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a brilliant post and we need more of them! Definitely fixing things and walking more are in my top five faves for helping reduce global warming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great and easy tips to contribute to a more eco friendly world. I honestly enjoy shopping second hand as thrifting is a small hobby of mine. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love thrift shopping too, its so exciting to see what you can find!

      Delete
  6. We've been buying more second hand recently and donating anything we don't need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great start. It is so much cheaper buying second hand!

      Delete
  7. These are all really useful tips; it's more important than ever to make changes and substitutions that are sustainable and eco-friendly. Thanks for sharing!

    Molly | transatlanticnotes.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You are right it is more important than ever that we are all making steps to be more eco-friendly.

      Delete
  8. Think before you buy is such a good tip! If you aren't going to use it lots of times, why buy it? x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some really good suggestions here, some of which I do, but others that are really new and useful to me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! I'm always trying to be more ecofriendly. I probably rely on the heating a little too much as I'm worried the baby will feel cold!

    Corinne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, of course you need to keep your baby warm. We can all make little steps.

      Delete
  11. These are some really great suggestions! Making small changes to our lifestyle will help save the planet. I am trying my best to be more eco-friendly with vegan skincare, recycling and only buying what I need. Thank you for sharing your post.

    Lauren - bournemouthgirl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It is all about making small changes. I would recommend Lush's skincare. You can ask for samples instore if you what to try some. Only buying what you need is the simplest way to be eco-friendly.

      Delete
  12. I have tried very hard to reduce our plastic use, dont buy too many unnecessary clothes and donate our stuff before buying new ones. It felt good to tick some of the points in your post. Though, I just cant make myself use reusable period stuff. Maybe someday that will happen too. Liked this post a lot 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm so glad you like this post! Its all about making sustainable choices were you can. You can find more eco-friendly single use period products. It all about finding what works for you.

      Delete
  13. I agree with the entire post. In the past one year, I have bought a pair of jeans and a cardigan just because they were torn in a way that they couldn't be fixed. I have also reduced or plastic use. The thing I'm really proud of is my composting bin in the garden. I collect all our kitchen waste there and use the compost for fertilizing my vegetable garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ah that must of been frustrating that they couldn't be fixed. I'm impressed by you compost bin and your vegetable garden. When I have a garden I can't wait to grown vegetables.

      Delete
  14. Love your point about just trying your best. There's nothing worse than being shamed for the things you can't or don't do - that's never going to help anyone improve! Great tips x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Exactly, there is no point people feeling shamed and then not doing anything x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Painless and Practical Ways to Make Extra Cash!

There have been several times in my life where I have needed extra cash. From being a student to living in London where almost all my salary went on rent (to this day I still can't believe how much I spent on rent). Over the years I've found ways to make some extra cash.  As the cost of living continues to rise we are all looking for ways to make some extra cash. So without further ado let me share a few ways to make some extra cash.  Sell your skills Think you about what your skill strengths are and considering offering them as a service. Are you amazing at Maths or English? Consider tutoring local children. Or do you enjoy caring for children? Consider babysitting. You could even sell your art work or writing?  Sell your unwanted items Have a declutter and see what items you no longer use anymore and consider selling them. I have found high quality clothing sells well on Depop . I have made around £50 selling unwanted clothing on Depop . Facebook Marketplace is a great way to

Enchanting Reader: A Good Girls Guide to Murder Trilogy by Holly Jackson Review

My 2022 New Years resolution is to read a minimum of two books a month. I'm currently on nine books so doing well so far! I partly have to thank Holly Jackson as her trilogy (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder) helped me to get off to a flying start. As I read all three books in two weeks! I actually order the next two books half way through reading the first book. That in itself shows you how amazing this trilogy is.  A Good Girl's Guide to Murder has since gone viral on TikTok and for good reason! Before I review the trilogy I will share with you the summary of each book from GoodReads.  A Good Girls Guide to Murder (1) The case is closed. Five years ago, schoolgirl Andie Bell was murdered by Sal Singh. The police know he did it. Everyone in town knows he did it. But having grown up in the same small town that was consumed by the murder, Pippa Fitz-Amobi isn't so sure. When she chooses the case as the topic for her final year project, she starts to uncover secrets that som