Skip to main content

Wallflower Explorer: Series Introduction

As I mentioned in my first blog post, in my 20's I started to feel lost. I suspect this is a common feeling as we all leave either our home towns or possibly (as I did) leave University. When I left University I moved away from my friends to London with my boyfriend. 

At this point in our relationship we were both doing shift work which often meant I would have days alone whilst he was working. I quickly realised I didn't want to stay boxed up in our tiny flat (I mean flat is a bit generous it was more a cupboard with a bed in it!). So I started to explore London on my own. As I mentioned in my first post I would write about where I went and share photos. Through which I developed a love of photography.

Though I was slightly forced into spending time on my own I soon discovered the importance of spending time in my own company. For me this was confirmed when I travelled across the UK (starting from Edinburgh and ending in London) alone. I stopped in eight cities. I was so nervous before I went, but with my boyfriends support, I set off. 

Honestly, it was one of the best experiences in my life. Not only did I see so many amazing sights including Newcastle Castle, York Minister, Oxford Castle and Prison and Shakespeare's House (To name a few!) The sense of independence was thrilling. You may have heard that quote "you are not the main character in everyone else's story, you are the main character in your own." On that trip I felt like the main character in my own story, I was in complete control of where I went, what activity I did that day and where I ate. 

I think like many of us (myself included) life can often sweep us up without us really taking the time to figure out what makes us truly happy. For me spending time alone, especially if that is exploring somewhere new nourishes my soul. As it combines my passion for exploring but also being an introvert. Sometimes as much as it is wonderful to share experiences with someone else it is truly special to take the time to explore somewhere at your own pace. Even when you are in a relationship I think it is essential to spend time in your own company. To learn what you like separate from your relationship which I believe in turn makes your relationship stronger as you are two whole people coming together.


I empathise that being out on your own in public can feel almost exposing. If I'm being honest I still struggle with going out to eat on my own. This is why I have decided to create the series Wallflower Explorer. Wallflower linking back to me being an introvert but also with time going out on your own you feel like a wallflower. You soon realise that most people don't notice or honestly really care that you are alone. 

In this series I plan to share some of my favourite places and also sprinkle in tips on how to feel safer and more confident when exploring alone. 

If you have any suggestions for places for me to visit please let me know if the comments below. 

E x

Comments

  1. What a really lovely idea of a blog/blog series; I think going out and exploring on your own is a wonderfully freeing thing to do (I wish I could do it more often). If you ever get to Cornwall (I'm not sure if you have already) I'd recommend St Michael's Mount, Penzance and Mousehole!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Molly, thank you! I'm so glad you love the idea of my blog/ blog series. Exploring really is a freeing thing to do. I have never been to Cornwall but I hope to one day soon. I will be sure to visit St Michael's Mount, Penzance and Mousehole!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Simple Ways to be More Eco-Friendly

Over the last few years I have been trying to be more eco-friendly in the hope to reduce my impact on our planet. I am not alone in this, as show by the increase in veganism and the availability of eco-friendly products. I'm not saying I'm perfect but I believe if we all make small changes we can make an impact. Most of these changes also save money so even if you aren't that fussed about the environment we all like to save money! 1. Shop Second Hand  In the UK we throw away 350,000 tonnes of clothing every year*. Not only that but the fashion industry makes up 10% of humanities carbon omissions **. The easiest way to reduce our environmentally impact is to buy what is already there rather than being new. This is now easier than ever thanks to the internet. You can by second hand clothes online through Re-fashion which is easy to search through if you are looking for a specific item. The money goes to charity and the items that either aren't high enough quality or don&#

Painless and Practical Ways to Make Extra Cash!

There have been several times in my life where I have needed extra cash. From being a student to living in London where almost all my salary went on rent (to this day I still can't believe how much I spent on rent). Over the years I've found ways to make some extra cash.  As the cost of living continues to rise we are all looking for ways to make some extra cash. So without further ado let me share a few ways to make some extra cash.  Sell your skills Think you about what your skill strengths are and considering offering them as a service. Are you amazing at Maths or English? Consider tutoring local children. Or do you enjoy caring for children? Consider babysitting. You could even sell your art work or writing?  Sell your unwanted items Have a declutter and see what items you no longer use anymore and consider selling them. I have found high quality clothing sells well on Depop . I have made around £50 selling unwanted clothing on Depop . Facebook Marketplace is a great way to

Enchanting Reader: A Good Girls Guide to Murder Trilogy by Holly Jackson Review

My 2022 New Years resolution is to read a minimum of two books a month. I'm currently on nine books so doing well so far! I partly have to thank Holly Jackson as her trilogy (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder) helped me to get off to a flying start. As I read all three books in two weeks! I actually order the next two books half way through reading the first book. That in itself shows you how amazing this trilogy is.  A Good Girl's Guide to Murder has since gone viral on TikTok and for good reason! Before I review the trilogy I will share with you the summary of each book from GoodReads.  A Good Girls Guide to Murder (1) The case is closed. Five years ago, schoolgirl Andie Bell was murdered by Sal Singh. The police know he did it. Everyone in town knows he did it. But having grown up in the same small town that was consumed by the murder, Pippa Fitz-Amobi isn't so sure. When she chooses the case as the topic for her final year project, she starts to uncover secrets that som