Skip to main content

Enchanting Reader: A Good Girls Guide to Murder Trilogy by Holly Jackson Review

My 2022 New Years resolution is to read a minimum of two books a month. I'm currently on nine books so doing well so far! I partly have to thank Holly Jackson as her trilogy (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder) helped me to get off to a flying start. As I read all three books in two weeks! I actually order the next two books half way through reading the first book. That in itself shows you how amazing this trilogy is. 

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder has since gone viral on TikTok and for good reason! Before I review the trilogy I will share with you the summary of each book from GoodReads. 


A Good Girls Guide to Murder (1)

The case is closed. Five years ago, schoolgirl Andie Bell was murdered by Sal Singh. The police know he did it. Everyone in town knows he did it.

But having grown up in the same small town that was consumed by the murder, Pippa Fitz-Amobi isn't so sure. When she chooses the case as the topic for her final year project, she starts to uncover secrets that someone in town desperately wants to stay hidden. And if the real killer is still out there, how far will they go to keep Pip from the truth?


Good Girl, Bad Blood (2) 

Pip is not a detective anymore.

With the help of Ravi Singh, she released a true-crime podcast about the murder case they solved together last year. The podcast has gone viral, yet Pip insists her investigating days are behind her.

But she will have to break that promise when someone she knows goes missing. Jamie Reynolds has disappeared, on the very same night the town hosted a memorial for the sixth-year anniversary of the deaths of Andie Bell and Sal Singh.

The police won't do anything about it. And if they won't look for Jamie then Pip will, uncovering more of her town's dark secrets along the way... and this time everyone is listening. But will she find him before it's too late?


As Good as Dead (3) 

Pip is about to head to college, but she is still haunted by the way her last investigation ended. She’s used to online death threats in the wake of her viral true-crime podcast, but she can’t help noticing an anonymous person who keeps asking her: Who will look for you when you’re the one who disappears?

Soon the threats escalate and Pip realizes that someone is following her in real life. When she starts to find connections between her stalker and a local serial killer caught six years ago, she wonders if maybe the wrong man is behind bars.

Police refuse to act, so Pip has only one choice: find the suspect herself—or be the next victim. As the deadly game plays out, Pip discovers that everything in her small town is coming full circle . . .and if she doesn’t find the answers, this time she will be the one who disappears. . .
 


Now you've had a brief summary of each book in the A Good Girl's Guide to Murder lets get into my review. 


A Good Girl's Guide to Murder centres on Pip, a confident, intelligent and fiercely independent character- which in itself is refreshing. The character development throughout the trilogy is subtle but really adds depth to the story. Coming from a small town, I really related to the small town feel through out the book. As is often the case in a small town everyone is interlinked which makes it the perfect setting for an unsolved crime. 

I love crime documentaries as I find it interesting learning why people commit crime. This trilogy gives an insight into some of the reasons why people commit crimes but without the gore. This links to the small town feel as people often show an appearance which isn't a true reflection of them. Providing unexpected motives for the crimes people commit. 

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder trilogy is marketed as a young adult read so as expected it is an easy fast paced read. However, with several twists and turns to you never get bored. As you are presented with evidence as Pip discovers them you are constantly trying to solve the mystery. 

One unique point about this trilogy is that each book had its own conclusion yet they all fit together in perfect harmony. This trilogy is the only one I have ever read where I can say there are no weak books. I couldn't wait to have free time to read each book and was genuinely sad when I finished this trilogy. 

I have just seen Holly Jackson has written a Prequel called Kill Joy which I'm going add to my never ending reading list! Which after A Good Girl's Guide to Murder I can't wait to read.

Have you read A Good Girl's Guide to Murder? If so what did you like about it? 

If not what series did you like to read? I'm always looking for books to add to my reading list!

Em x

Links are not affiliated just simply sharing as I love them.

Comments

  1. I loved A Good Girl's Guide To Murder. I read it last year! But I am RUBBISH at keeping up with series of books, so I haven't read the other two yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have to admit I normally am but this series had me gripped. Hopefully you get to read the other two soon.

      Delete
  2. I haven't ready anything by Holly Jackson but I do enjoy the detective genre. I will need to give the first one in the series a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on beating your reading goal/resolution for the month! I’ve heard great things about this trilogy and loved reading your thoughtful review. Nothing beats a good fast paced read. I’ll definitely be adding these books to my list! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping I can keep it up for the year. I'm so glad you enjoyed reading my review. Let me know what you think when you read Holly Jackson series.

      Delete
  4. Wow! This sounds like it is right up my street! will definitely check Holly Jackson's books! Thank you so much for sharing x Penny / www.whatdidshetype.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you love reading Holly Jacksons books.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on reading nine books so far this year! I'm aiming for one book, minimum, each month this year. 😊

    I do like a good investigation, so these sound like an interesting trilogy to me!

    I love learning the 'why' behind the actions as well, and when the reader is given enough information to try to solve the mystery themselves.

    Thank you for sharing! 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope your reading goal is going well so far. It is fascinating learning 'why' and trying to figure to story out.

      Delete
  6. 9 books is great! Well done. I love reading book series and really getting into the characters. This one sounds brill, I wish I had more time to read

    Corinne x
    https://skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So do I character development is so important to a book series. Hopefully you have more time to read soon.

      Delete
  7. This is such a great review and the books sound interesting. I've never read a trilogy before, but this is getting added to my never-ending reading list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I hope you enjoy reading this trilogy when you get around to it. My reading list is never ending as well!

      Delete
  8. These books sound really intriguing -- I'll have to check them out when I can (I have such a long and growing list of things I want to read, haha)! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! I hope you get a chance to read them. Don't we all have a never ending reading list !

      Delete
  9. I haven't had a chance to read these yet but they sound like a great series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you get to read Holly Jackson's series soon!

      Delete
  10. I have had two of her books in my pile of books and still not read them. Going to make an effort to read them by the end of the year. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you love reading them as much as I did. Thank you!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Simple Ways to be More Eco-Friendly

Over the last few years I have been trying to be more eco-friendly in the hope to reduce my impact on our planet. I am not alone in this, as show by the increase in veganism and the availability of eco-friendly products. I'm not saying I'm perfect but I believe if we all make small changes we can make an impact. Most of these changes also save money so even if you aren't that fussed about the environment we all like to save money! 1. Shop Second Hand  In the UK we throw away 350,000 tonnes of clothing every year*. Not only that but the fashion industry makes up 10% of humanities carbon omissions **. The easiest way to reduce our environmentally impact is to buy what is already there rather than being new. This is now easier than ever thanks to the internet. You can by second hand clothes online through Re-fashion which is easy to search through if you are looking for a specific item. The money goes to charity and the items that either aren't high enough quality or don&#

Painless and Practical Ways to Make Extra Cash!

There have been several times in my life where I have needed extra cash. From being a student to living in London where almost all my salary went on rent (to this day I still can't believe how much I spent on rent). Over the years I've found ways to make some extra cash.  As the cost of living continues to rise we are all looking for ways to make some extra cash. So without further ado let me share a few ways to make some extra cash.  Sell your skills Think you about what your skill strengths are and considering offering them as a service. Are you amazing at Maths or English? Consider tutoring local children. Or do you enjoy caring for children? Consider babysitting. You could even sell your art work or writing?  Sell your unwanted items Have a declutter and see what items you no longer use anymore and consider selling them. I have found high quality clothing sells well on Depop . I have made around £50 selling unwanted clothing on Depop . Facebook Marketplace is a great way to