Skip to main content

Wallflower Explorer: Tynemouth Aquarium

Welcome to my first post official post in my Wallflower Explorer Series! In this series (which you can read more about here), I will be sharing my some of my favourite places to visit alone. Sprinkled in with some tips to help you feel more confident visiting places alone.

Tynemouth Aquarium is one of my favourite places to visit. I have even treated my self to an annual pass so I can visit as many times as a like. 

So why are Aquariums a great activity to do alone. 

Firstly, there is so much to see! I have been a few times but there is always something new to see. Whether that is a new breed of fish I hadn't noticed before or just seeing one of the animals do something different. For example, the first couple of times I visited the turtles were sunbathing (looking very majestic I must say!) However, the last time I visited they were swimming around which was fascinating to watch. I have to say they weren't very graceful and kept swimming into each other. 

A benefit of going by yourself is you can go at your own pace. Whether that's so you can take lots of photos (as I often do) or just simply watch the fishes swim around for a while.  

Secondly, Tynemouth Aquarium also do shows included in the price of your ticket. For me, the Seal Show is the stand out event.  This is where the keepers train the seals to do exercises focused on keeping them fit and engaging their brains. There is also a splash zone if you are brave enough to get wet! With the shows you don't have to feel nervous about being alone as everyone is too busy watching the adorable seals to notice you (unless you think you are cuter than a seal!). 

Thirdly, it doesn't matter what the weather is. Lets be honest in the UK (especially in the North), lets just say the weather can be often wet and cold! As Tynemouth Aquarium is mostly inside this isn't an issue! In fact is a great place to come inside away from the often bitterly cold coastline and admire the thousands of fishes! When I have days alone it is easy to fall into the trap of staying inside my cosy warm home when its horrible weather outside. As lovely as that can be, it can leave me feeling isolated so its best to get outside. 


So there you go, why not visit Tynemouth Aquarium. I promise you won't regret it. Be sure to stop by the Seal Hospital which rehabilitates sick and injured seals from the wild. They are eventually released back into the wild. Say hello to the current adorable residents Waffle and Porridge!


E x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Simple Ways to be More Eco-Friendly

Over the last few years I have been trying to be more eco-friendly in the hope to reduce my impact on our planet. I am not alone in this, as show by the increase in veganism and the availability of eco-friendly products. I'm not saying I'm perfect but I believe if we all make small changes we can make an impact. Most of these changes also save money so even if you aren't that fussed about the environment we all like to save money! 1. Shop Second Hand  In the UK we throw away 350,000 tonnes of clothing every year*. Not only that but the fashion industry makes up 10% of humanities carbon omissions **. The easiest way to reduce our environmentally impact is to buy what is already there rather than being new. This is now easier than ever thanks to the internet. You can by second hand clothes online through Re-fashion which is easy to search through if you are looking for a specific item. The money goes to charity and the items that either aren't high enough quality or don&#

Painless and Practical Ways to Make Extra Cash!

There have been several times in my life where I have needed extra cash. From being a student to living in London where almost all my salary went on rent (to this day I still can't believe how much I spent on rent). Over the years I've found ways to make some extra cash.  As the cost of living continues to rise we are all looking for ways to make some extra cash. So without further ado let me share a few ways to make some extra cash.  Sell your skills Think you about what your skill strengths are and considering offering them as a service. Are you amazing at Maths or English? Consider tutoring local children. Or do you enjoy caring for children? Consider babysitting. You could even sell your art work or writing?  Sell your unwanted items Have a declutter and see what items you no longer use anymore and consider selling them. I have found high quality clothing sells well on Depop . I have made around £50 selling unwanted clothing on Depop . Facebook Marketplace is a great way to

Enchanting Reader: A Good Girls Guide to Murder Trilogy by Holly Jackson Review

My 2022 New Years resolution is to read a minimum of two books a month. I'm currently on nine books so doing well so far! I partly have to thank Holly Jackson as her trilogy (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder) helped me to get off to a flying start. As I read all three books in two weeks! I actually order the next two books half way through reading the first book. That in itself shows you how amazing this trilogy is.  A Good Girl's Guide to Murder has since gone viral on TikTok and for good reason! Before I review the trilogy I will share with you the summary of each book from GoodReads.  A Good Girls Guide to Murder (1) The case is closed. Five years ago, schoolgirl Andie Bell was murdered by Sal Singh. The police know he did it. Everyone in town knows he did it. But having grown up in the same small town that was consumed by the murder, Pippa Fitz-Amobi isn't so sure. When she chooses the case as the topic for her final year project, she starts to uncover secrets that som